info-mtools

Re: [Info-mtools] Where is the git/svn/cvs/${vcs} repo?

From: Bjørn Forsman
Subject: Re: [Info-mtools] Where is the git/svn/cvs/${vcs} repo?
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 21:49:12 +0200

Hi Moritz,

On 24 June 2017 at 17:32, Moritz Barsnick <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 13:36:05 +0200, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
>> Where is the git/svn/cvs/${vcs} repo for mtools? I looked at https://
>> www.gnu.org/software/mtools/ and search online but the only repo I could find
>> was for the web site: https://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=mtools.
>
> I think your discovery is right, there is no source repository.

Hm, that's... not good.

> a) You can grab the source here, it doesn't *need* a repository:
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mtools/
> b) You can post patches to the mailing list. You'd even have to do that
> if there was a repository. ;-)
> c) If it's for your own needs, do you really require your change to go
> upstream and be released? (I'm not saying it can't.)

Right, I don't _require_ it. But if the patch has little chance of
making it upstream I might as well continue working with "fatsort".

Btw, I just tested fatsort, and I do get reproducible images with it.
But its integration in my build system is less elegant than it would
be if mcopy had a --sort flag. The use of mcopy is abstracted away in
genimage, but when I have to add "fatsort" to the mix I have duplicate
parts of what genimage would otherwise do itself, just so I can add
that "fatsort" command into the mix. Nitpicks, but still...

Waaaait... genimage has a --mcopy flag which overrides the path to the
mcopy program. I can simply make a wrapper script that calls "fatsort"
after invoking the real mcopy! (I'm a lazy programmer!)

> Try your best, it might get a release if it's worth it. If nothing
> happens, you're free to check the license, put up a fork on GitHub, and
> publicise your changes there. That still doesn't mean distributions
> will use your fork, of course.
>
> Give it a try! Just create a patch an post it here.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman