info-mtools

Re: [mtools] Mtools FS

From: Don Williams
Subject: Re: [mtools] Mtools FS
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:09:37 -0800

At 02:27 PM 12/31/2005 -0500, you wrote:
Because the kernel already has support for fat.  The point of mtools is to be able to manipulate fat file systems from user mode.

I ask this every year, so here's a good time to ask again.  I use SCO Open Server and for the most part everything developed in this group has worked, with one key exception.   The programs don't recognize the NTFS file system.  Since I run both OSR 5.0.6/7 on this system as well as Win XP Pro, it would be really nice to be able to move files between my first Windows Drive an my Unix system.

It seems unlikely that this would ever happen but it would be a nice feature.  I do know that the NTFS file structure is complex and hard to deal with, but maybe there are enough folks in the same boat to encourage someone to patch the program to read those files.

Just a thought.

DAW

Pietro wrote:
Hi to all
I've just tried mtools with kde and I've seen it's very good. The only problem is that it isn't a filesystem module so only the applications that support it can use its features.
Why don't you make a FS in userland, based on FUSE, based on mtools? I think it would be great, but I can't make it because I don't know anythink about c/c++.
Regards, Pietro

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA