Large POP inbox memory exhausted

From: João Cortes
Subject: Large POP inbox memory exhausted
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 10:03:21 -0800 (PST)

I am trying to configure gnus to fetch my outlook account, via POP.
The inbox has ~3Gb.
Gnus starts the fetching process but throws an error,

error in process filter: Memory exhausted--use C-x s then exit and restart
Emacs [218 times]

Can I instruct gnus to fetch only a number of articles each time?
Is there any general rules regarding the size of newsgroups that gnus can
manage?

My configuration

(setq gnus-select-method '
      (nnmaildir