Re: Gnus hangs during or after reading nnml

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: Gnus hangs during or after reading nnml
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 14:31:06 +0300

On 2017-10-10 13:12 +02, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:
> Kayaalp wrote:
>
>> Today, I tried de-agentizing nntp:gmane
>
> What does that mean?

That means in the server buffer hitting J r on the nntp:gmane server.
The manual has details on Gnus Agent, it fetches messages for offline
reading.

However I just came to report that this was a temporary fix too.

>> which seemed to fix the issue for now, tho
>> IDK if this will be temporary too. I wanted
>> to ask if anybody has similar issues to mine
>
> I've had this/a similar issue for several
> years (?) and it has been discussed on the
> lists so I know it isn't just me. But it is me
> as well, for sure :) What happens is, when I do
> `gnus-group-get-new-news' I get news alright,
> but ~9 out of 10 times I also get this error
> message, and no mail update.
>
>     Mail source (pop :user moasen :password
>     XYZ123 :server pop.zoho.com :port 995
>     :stream ssl) failed: (error USER moasen not
>     valid)
>
> However, because the error message just flashes
> by, I simply read the news and sooner or later
> I get the mails, if any. Not the power user
> way, perhaps...

In my case 1 out of 2-3 times when I update from the group buffer (hit
‘g’), it hangs indefinitely while fetching from gmane.  Upthread I've
included debugger output and config (‘A T’ in Gnus should get you
there).  I have to keyboard-quit out of it.  When I hit g again I get
both nntp stuff and my email from pop intact (not sure about nntp).

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp       <http://www.gkayaalp.com/>
                        024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC