Re: gnus starting with an error message - very strange

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: gnus starting with an error message - very strange
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 11:57:43 +0200

Emil writes:

> The good machine was on the university network, and they probably have
> a host called news and it does resolve there! The other two computers
> are on a home network with no host corresponding to news.

Sounds like you've got it!

>> I always tend to set gnus-select-method to '(nnnil), and then I have all
>> my servers defined in gnus-secondary-select-methods.

> I just started using gnus, I want to use it for email (not sure if it
> is a good idea, the manual says it will be awesome - if I get the hang
> of it).

I like it a lot for email (and mailing lists via gmane.org, and RSS/Atom
feeds via feedbase.org¹) - but I am biased by having been using it for
email for decades by now.

The "news reader" way feels very natural to me for email as well - when
the whole "Inbox zero"-thing made its entrance, my immediate reaction
was: "Huh, that's sort of how I've always done email with Gnus" :-)

>  In my case I guess I should also set gnus-select-method to '(nnnil)
> right and set the mail servers in the secondary, right?

I think that is a good way to go, yes.

I tried writing a small tutorial on using Gnus for email once, but never
quite finished it, it maybe of use to you:

 · https://koldfront.dk/text/gnus-email-tutorial.html

> Thank you again! This was very frustrating and was bugging me very much!

You're welcome.

  Best regards,

    Adam

¹ Full disclosure: Feedbase is made by me.

--
 "Although it is against my will, I think it is               Adam Sjøgren
  needed."                                               asjo@koldfront.dk