about gnus-agent-regenerate

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: about gnus-agent-regenerate
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2017 20:19:34 -0400

I have some serious discrepancies in what is actually in certain
agentized groups and what is reported in gnus.  I mean to the tune of
over 100,000 msgs

After looking at the docu string for gnus-agent-regenerate[-group]

I see I mis-understood what it would do.  I hoped it would reset that
count but it does not concern itself with that .. only the files
generated by the agent... which I guess is .agentview and maybe
.overview... although I'm not sure about .overview... I think that
gets compiled even if the agent is not engaged.  But it does not
concern itself with counts anyway... right?

So, .newsrc is the place where that is kept track of but in this case
the groups in question are foreign groups so do not appear in .newsrc.

So getting to the chase... How can I reset the counts shown in gnus?

Is it a matter of hand editing .newsrc.eld? And if so, anyone have
advice about that?