Re: retaining marked articles in summary buffer?

From: Ben Bacarisse
Subject: Re: retaining marked articles in summary buffer?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 14:49:12 +0000

> On Monday, 27 Feb 2017 at 17:09, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>>> Hm, I've just tested this, and with gnus-use-cache set
>>> to 'passive, Gnus does *not* cache articles that I tick
>>> with '!'. It may well be, as always, that I have
>>> something in my .gnus.el that prevents this :-) But it
>>> is also in line with the docs
>
> So what does the 'passive setting accomplish?

It turns off all automatic caching making it an entirely manual process.
The result is that * saves the article essentially forever (by entering
it into the cache) and M-* removes is from the cache (usually deleting
in the process).

The manual calls this "Persistent Articles" and it's described in the
section after "Article Caching".  I found this a bit confusing.  I'd
have called that setting 'manual' rather than 'passive'.

When gnus-use-cache is t (or anything other than nil or passive) then
the list of marks in gnus-cache-enter-articles (by default dormant and
ticked) will cause articles to be cached, and The marks in
gnus-cache-remove-articles (by default read) will cause them to be
removed.  I think the only risk with setting gnus-use-cache to t is that
the command gnus-jog-cache will try to cache everything unread.

However, I suspect the OP's best choice is setting gnus-use-cache to
passive but then setting the display group parameter to something like

  [unread tick cache]

(That's an array you set it to.)

--
Ben.