Re: Secondary-select-method-specific gnus-message-archive-group

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: Secondary-select-method-specific gnus-message-archive-group
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 22:30:21 +0300

> I have tried to set up different values for
>
>   gnus-message-archive-group
>
> for different secondary select methods like this:
>
>      (nnimap "gmx"
>              (nnimap-stream tls)
>              (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+gmx:Gesendet")
>              (nnimap-address "imap.gmx.com"))
>      (nnimap "gmail"
>              (nnimap-stream ssl)
>              (nnimap-server-port 993)
>              (remove-prefix nnimap)
>              (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+gmail:Sent Mail")
>              (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com"))
>
> I do get different values for gnus-message-archive-group (I actually have a
> few more select methods), but I don't always get the one I am expecting.
>
> Can anyone tell me how the values are triggered?

I am not sure, whether message archive groups do have anything to do with
select methods.  Select methods are about receiving mail, while archive group
is chosen when you start to compose a message.

I’m using the following piece of config to place a letter in a current group
(in particular that means to the same group where the message I’m replying is
stored) or in ‘INBOX’ by default:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((cond
         ((string-prefix-p "nnimap+" group) group)
         (t "nnimap+g:INBOX"))))

(By the way, why don’t you do the same?  What is the point to separate sent
letters from received ones?)

Anyway, what you probably want to do may look like that, I guess:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((cond
         ((string-prefix-p "nnimap+gmx:" group) "nnimap+gmx:Gesendet")
         ((string-prefix-p "nnimap+gmail:" group) "nnimap+gmail:Sent Mail")
         (t "nnimap+gmail:Sent Mail"))))