Re: nnir-notmuch-engine setup with gnus/offlineimap/dovecot

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: nnir-notmuch-engine setup with gnus/offlineimap/dovecot
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 10:01:57 -0400

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> was also important to build from the git repo because, at least a month
>> or two ago, the tar.gz at version 1.2.1 was missing a feature that turns
>> out to be important in my gmail sync setup.
>
> Which feature was this, if I may ask? I would also use isync for
> syncing a gmail account.

One of these sync options ...

Create Both
Expunge Both
SyncState *

... sorry I don't recall which.

> Could you share your config so that I can have
> an idea what I am looking at in a change ti isync?

Here is the top of my ~/.mbsyncrc. It includes Gmail config notes and
the config of one "channel" that syncs one Gmail account into ~/Maildir

# usage:
#   mbsync --all --verbose
# ... or for a single channel ...
#   mbsync --verbose --debug cm
#
# With Gmail configured this way ...
#
# > Settings > Labels
#
#     > System labels
#         Inbox      X Show in Imap
#         Starred      Show in Imap
#         Important    Show in Imap
#         Chats        Show in Imap
#         Sent Mail  X Show in Imap
#         Drafts       Show in Imap
#         All Mail   X Show in Imap
#         Spam         Show in Imap
#         Trash        Show in Imap
#
#     > Labels
#         <remove all labels>
#
# > Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP
#
#     > When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:
#       X  Auto-Expung off
#
#     > When a message is marked as deleted and expunged...
#       X  Immediately delete the message forever
#
# ... the 'cm' config below produces a Mairdir store like ...
#
# /home/glc/Maildir/cm:
# drwx------ 6 glc glc 4096 Dec 12 20:14 [Gmail]
# drwx------ 5 glc glc 4096 Dec 12 20:13 INBOX
#
# /home/glc/Maildir/cm/[Gmail]:
# drwx------ 5 glc glc 4096 Dec 12 20:14 All Mail
# drwx------ 5 glc glc 4096 Dec 12 20:14 Sent Mail
# drwx------ 5 glc glc 4096 Dec 12 20:14 Trash
#
# Any "new" Gmail message initially appears in two ~/Maildir folders,
# either in 'cm/INBOX' + 'cm/[Gmail]/All Mail', or 'cm/[Gmail]/Sent
# Mail' + 'cm/[Gmail]/All Mail'. When you delete a message from both
# of the ~/Maildir folders it will be deleted from Gmail.

###### cm START

IMAPAccount cm
Host imap.gmail.com
User USER@gmail.com
Pass PASSWORD
AuthMechs LOGIN
SSLType IMAPS
CertificateFile /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

IMAPStore cm-remote
Account cm

MaildirStore cm-local
Path ~/Maildir/cm/
Inbox ~/Maildir/cm/INBOX
SubFolders Verbatim

Channel cm
Master :cm-remote:
Slave :cm-local:
Patterns "*"
Create Both
Expunge Both
SyncState *

###### cm END

> How do these two compare in regards to stability (offlineimap has
> e.g. an issue wit suspend on the Mac)?

Don't know, I use it on a server.

- George