Re: nnir-notmuch-engine setup with gnus/offlineimap/dovecot

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: nnir-notmuch-engine setup with gnus/offlineimap/dovecot
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 14:56:08 +0200

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> on Thu Sep 29 2016, Rainer M Krug <Rainer-AT-krugs.de> wrote:
>
>> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

>>> Yes.  Other things that work really well in a setup like that are:
>>>
>>> 1. Using dovecot's mdbox storage format, which is much more efficient
>>
>> There is, among others, one reason why I don't use mbox format:
>> backup. If I add an email to a folder, the whole mbox file will be
>> backed up - in the case of maildir, only the new mail file. This saves
>> backup space, especially as I am using a Mac and Time Machine which is
>> doing hourly backups.
>
> Not mbox; mdbox.  I've used this setup on a mac with network TM for a
> long time.

OK - sorry.

>>> 2. Building dovecot with clucene and stemmer support for search
>>
>> Does this really work with nnimap-shell-program? I thought one has to
>> use the dovecot daemon for this?
>
> Yes, it works.  Feel free to scrape http://github.com/onmsg/onmsg for details
> and ask me questions for more.  There's a script in there that I use to
> install (most of) this setup with homebrew.

Thanks - will look into this.

>>> 3. Using mbsync from the isync project (scales much better than
>>>    offlineimap IMO, though I am about to try dropping it because doveadm
>>>    sync is already part of dovecot)
>>
>> offlineimap works for me - and never change a running system (well -
>> that's the theory).
>
> I don't suppose you're syncing any really large folders then?  Among
> other things I found doing it all through Python was causing way
> much CPU usage on my Macbook pro.

Hm - I am syncing my All Mail folder as well (1.3GB - just checked), so
everything double,
I am not using idle, just every two minutes fast sync and every 10
minutes normal sync - is not really that heavy on my Macbook Pro
Retina. OK - If I am waiting for a sync it is not fast - but what is
when you are waiting...

>> Interesting - didn't know about doveadm sync - any experiences with
>> it?
>
> Not yet.
>
>> How does it compare to isync and offlineimap?
>
> I'm not really in a position to comment yet; I've just skimmed the
> output of doveadm help sync.

OK.

Thanks for the info,

Rainer