Re: nnir-notmuch-engine setup with gnus/offlineimap/dovecot

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: nnir-notmuch-engine setup with gnus/offlineimap/dovecot
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 21:33:56 -0400

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> Yes.  Other things that work really well in a setup like that are:
>
> 1. Using dovecot's mdbox storage format, which is much more efficient
>
> 2. Building dovecot with clucene and stemmer support for search
>
> 3. Using mbsync from the isync project (scales much better than
>    offlineimap IMO,

I saw this too. mbsync (AKA isync) was ~30 times faster in my tests. It
was also important to build from the git repo because, at least a month
or two ago, the tar.gz at version 1.2.1 was missing a feature that turns
out to be important in my gmail sync setup.

Built from the git repo it shows this version info:

g1@g1 ~$ mbsync --version
isync 1.3.0

> though I am about to try dropping it because doveadm sync is already
> part of dovecot)

A couple months ago I put a fair amount of effort into trying to use
dovecot sync. I ended up concluding that mbsync is faster and easier to
config.