Re: Suppressing unavailable imap server by default

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Suppressing unavailable imap server by default
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 08:19:36 -0400

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 10:25:26 +0800 Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
wrote:

EA> What I think would be preferable would be if a server status of "closed"
EA> persisted between Gnus restarts. Then you could just leave it closed,
EA> and open it manually when you decide you want to check news.

Manual work always sucks :)

I think a new server parameter `check-reachable' or something like that
would make sense. It could be a number (indicating connection timeout
time) or a path (a command to run to check connectivity).

I'll follow up on emacs-devel regarding socket timeouts in general. I
think the improvement has to be made in the C core.

Ted