Setting defvoo variables in gnus-group-browse-foreign-server

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Setting defvoo variables in gnus-group-browse-foreign-server
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2016 13:32:36 +0300

Greetings.

I upgraded my operating system, emacs 25 came along, and my gnus mail
splitting stopped working.

A number of things became clearer when I saw this thread:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2015-07/msg00549.html

Now if I have understood correctly, variables that have been defined
with defvoo are reset for different servers. So the approach of the
author of the message above was to set these variables, such as
nnimap-split-methods, in the call to gnus-select-method, as follows:

(setq gnus-select-method
          '(nnimap "mail"
                   (nnimap-address "mail")
                   (nnimap-server-port 993)
                   (nnimap-stream ssl)
                   (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                   (nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)))

My question is: how is this done with gnus-group-browse-foreign-server?
I subscribe to my mail server by evaluating

  (gnus-group-browse-foreign-server
        '(nnimap "mail"
           (nnimap-address "mail.server.com")
           (nnimap-stream ssl)
           (nnimap-server-port 993)))

I tried adding to this my settings for nnimap-split-methods:

  (gnus-group-browse-foreign-server
        '(nnimap "mail"
           (nnimap-address "mail.server.com")
           (nnimap-stream ssl)
           (nnimap-server-port 993)
           (nnimap-split-methods
                '(
                  ("lists" "^To:.*xfce@xfce.org")
                  ("lists" "^To:.*users@lists.fedoraproject.org")
                  ("Spam" "^From:.*spamster")
                  ("personal" "")
                  ))))

This resulted in weird behaviour. Splitting was done correctly
immediately after I subscribed my mailboxes. But after that some mail
were split to a box with a name different from those I defined. Some
mails were also completely lost (test mails I sent to myself).

Also, it would be really weird to list the splitting rules in
gnus-group-browse-foreign-server, because then I would have to
resubscribe to my mail boxes if the rules were changed.

How should I proceed?

Jarmo