Re: nnimap woes after debian upgrade

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: nnimap woes after debian upgrade
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:33:24 +0800

Pierfrancesco Caci <pf@tippete.net> writes:

> Hello,
> yesterday I upgraded my system from debian wheezy to jessie.
> I'm having some difficulties getting gnus to work as before.
>
> Here is what I had configured before the upgrade:
>
>  '(gnus-secondary-select-methods
>     (quote (
>            (nnimap "localhost" (nnimap-stream ssl))
>            (nnimap "pf-tippete" (nnimap-address my\.imapserver\.it)
>                                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                                 (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)))))
>
> So, first problem, I couldn't access localhost anymore. A bit of
> fiddling led me to:
>
>         ((nnimap "localhost"
>                          (nnimap-stream network))

I don't actually know if that "localhost" is supposed to be interpreted
as an actual address, but the standard way of doing that would look
like:

(nnimap "decorative server name"
  (nnimap-address "localhost")
  (nnimap-stream network)
  (nnimap-authenticator login)
  (nnimap-user "your@user.name"))

I don't know how you have your dovecot set up, so maybe authentication
will work differently for you, but I don't know how dovecot would know
what user you want to log in as without the nnimap-user clause in there.

[...]

> The second problem is that I can't access the remote server anymore, I
> get this error:
>
> Opening connection to my.imapserver.it via tls...
> Unable to open server nnimap+pf-tippete due to: Wrong type argument: stringp,
> my\.imapserver\.it
> Opening nnimap server on pf-tippete...failed:
> No new newsgroups

The error message says it all: change my\.imapserver\.it to the string
"my.imapserver.it" and you should be fine.

If the upgrade is taking you through several new versions of Gnus, it's
probably worth going back to the Gnus manual and reading the section on
IMAP again, just to make sure you've got everything right.

HTH,
Eric