Re: Trigger spell checking before sending

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Trigger spell checking before sending
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 00:34:11 +0100

Pietro <pulsarpietro@posteo.net> writes:

> I normally use the ispell-buffer command before
> sending an email or article to check what I have
> written, anyway sometimes I just forgot it.
>
> Is there a way to configure Gnus to start the spell
> check before sending the message ? I was thinking of
> an "hook" which can be configured to call a function
> - as ispell-buffer - triggered by the send command.

There are many options to achieve what you want.
As for the hooks, yes:

    message-send-hook ; early

    message-send-mail-hook ; late
    message-send-news-hook

But that might not be the best move. Spelling can be
confusing with a lot of options and strange words will
pop up that makes your mind wander and you bring up
Emacs-w3m to Google it and you... oh, the message!

Or the opposite, when you are in a rush and you have
written a three liner and it yams every time you send
it, the thrice-accursed spellchecker starting
all over!

Instead, I'd do it like this:

Write one defun "message-send-no-check" that *always*
sends. It could be `C-u C-c C-c' or whatever.

Then write another defun
"message-send-ask-if-not-spelled" (`C-c C-c') which
checks a variable "is-spelled". This variable is
(re)set to nil when you create a new message (put it
in `message-setup-hook', likely). When you spell, the
variable is set to t.

If is-spelled is nil, message-send-ask-if-not-spelled
simply says "Hey, it is not spelled. Use `C-u C-c C-c'
to send anyway." If it is t, the message is sent
normally by means of `message-send-and-exit'.

This perhaps sounds complicated but it is super simple
- just setting, testing, and branching, like all
programming. Nothing new under the Sun Microsystems.

Here is what I have for spelling:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/spell-new.el

Note especially the `ispell-message' stuff! Which has
a bug by the way if you do `C-g' while spelling... But
you only get a wierd message (in the echo area, not
a message-message).

And for the message mode:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/gnus/message-my.el

Good luck! Ask more if need be!