Re: How to prevent gnus from always downloading full index

From: Andreas Hilboll
Subject: Re: How to prevent gnus from always downloading full index
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 23:36:03 +0100

> Andreas writes:
>
>> I'd like to start using GNUs to read mailing lists via nntp/Gmane. Works
>> fine so far, but each time I press RET on a group name in the *Group*
>> buffer, GNUs seems to download a lot of data (in case of the org-mode
>> list, some 30+M, which takes 10+ seconds).
>
> Sounds strange, Gnus should only download the "overview" for articles.
>
> How many articles do you ask Gnus to display when entering a group?

200

> Have you "caught up" the groups in question (i.e. marked all the old
> articles as read)?

Yes, the *group* buffer shows e.g. 2 unread messages for that group.

> What does your configuration look like?

I'm using spacemacs, so the base config is at

https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/blob/master/layers/%2Bemail/gnus/packages.el

and I have the following user config:

    (setq gnus-nntp-server nil)
    (setq gnus-select-method
          '(nntp "news.gmane.org"
                 (nntp-connection-timeout 240)
                 (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-network-stream)
                 (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")
                 )
          )

    ;; Archive outgoing email in Sent folder on local Maildir
    (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnmaildir "Private" (directory
"~/mail/Private"))
          gnus-message-archive-group "Sent")

    ;; set return email address based on incoming email address
    (setq gnus-posting-styles
          '((".*"
             (address "andreas-h@posteo.de"))))

    ;; mark Gcc (group Cc) messages as read, from
http://stackoverflow.com/q/9799871/152439
    (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)

When from the *Group* buffer I have point on a group and call one of
`gnus-topic-select-group`, `gnus-group-read-group` and
`gnus-group-select-group`, then I can see "nntp read XXXX" in the
minibuffer, with a counter going to ~5k in case of this newsgroup.  When
from the summary buffer i press q to go back to the *group* buffer, and
press RET on the same group again, it again does the "nntp read XXXX"
thing.

Thanks for your help!
  Andreas.