odd search behaviour

From: Benjamin Slade
Subject: odd search behaviour
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 14:27:47 -0700

I have gnus setup to use lucene on searches with a local dovecot server
as per here:
https://ericabrahamsen.net/tech/2014/oct/gnus-dovecot-lucene.html

My *Group* buffer looks something like this:

[ Gnus -- 228 ]
  [ INBOX -- 2 ]
         2: nnvirtual:INBOXes
  [ inboxes -- 2 ]
         1: nnimap+work:INBOX
*        0: nnimap+home:INBOX
         1: nnimap+play:INBOX
  [ emacs -- 143 ]
        35: nnimap+home:emacs.help
         1: nnimap+home:emacs.tangents
        99: nnimap+home:emacs.orgmode
         1: nnimap+home:emacs.auctex
         7: nnimap+home:text.pandoc
*        0: nnimap+home:conkeror
*        0:*nnimap+home:emacs.gnus.info
  [ misc -- 67 ]
    [ commercial -- 17 ]
           4: nnimap+home:commercial.gamez
           9: nnimap+home:commercial.general
    [ news -- 5 ]
           1: nnimap+work:news.work
           4: nnimap+play:news.general
  [ [dirs] -- 13 ]
    [ archived -- 1 ]
*          0: nnimap+work:ARCHIVED
*          0: nnimap+home:ARCHIVED
*          0: nnimap+otherbox:ARCHIVED
           1: nnimap+play:ARCHIVED
    [ sentmail -- 4 ]
           4: nnimap+home:[Gmail].Sent Mail
    [ rubbish -- 8 ]
           8: nnimap+home:[Gmail].Bin

If I do GG on [ Gnus ], it doesn't seem to search everywhere in its scope,
as I would expect it to. Rather, as far as I can tell, doing a search GG
on [ Gnus ], seems to search within the [ [dirs] ] level, but not, for
instance, in the [ inboxes ] level.

A GG search on [ inboxes ] seems to work as expected. Searching on [
[dirs] ] gives me a "Couldn't request
group nnir:nnir-897adsf98908.fsf: Search produced empty results" message
even though the same search on [ archived ] works fine.

(I can't search on nnvirtual:INBOXes at all (I get "Couldn't request
group nnir:nnir-897adsf98908.fsf: Search produced empty results:), but
perhaps that's expected since it's a virtual group).

Maybe there's some settings I need to adjust for the search to work as
expected?