Re: Finding message by ID fails when message not visible

From: Kai von Fintel
Subject: Re: Finding message by ID fails when message not visible
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 10:34:28 -0500

Kai von Fintel <fintel@mit.edu> writes:

>>> I'm puzzled by the following behavior: if I search in an nnimap group
>>> for a message with a particular message-ID, the search fails unless the
>>> message is visible. If for example, only new messages are shown, the
>>> search for an old message with a particular ID fails but the same
>>> message is found when "/o" has made the old messages appear.
>>>
>>> This is relevant because I use links to gnus messages from org-mode and
>>> more often than not the link fails: I get taken to the nnimap group that
>>> contains the message, but I get the error "No such article (may have
>>> expired or been canceled)", even though the message is in fact in the
>>> group.
>>>
>>> I suppose org-gnus.el might have to be amended to work around this, but
>>> first I'd like to understand whether this is expected behavior in gnus.
>>>
>>> Can anybody enlighten me or help me trouble-shoot this?
>>
>> No, it's not expected, and I haven't seen it before -- sorry for the
>> unhelpful reply! I just tried it (dovecot imap server), and it worked
>> both with and without angle brackets on the ID (sometimes brackets can
>> be an issue).
>>
>> To be sure everyone's on the same page, how exactly are you searching?
>> If you're in the *Group* buffer and you hit "G G" on the group, and
>> paste in the message ID, is the message found? If you're already in the
>> *Summary* buffer, there isn't really any way to "search" as such,
>> there's only "limiting" what messages are shown by some criteria -- in
>> those cases it's true you won't be able to get to unseen messages.
>>
>> But that should never affect following links from org mode...
>>
>> Eric
>
> Thanks for the reply, Eric. More details then.
>
> 1. GG in the group buffer works (after a brief delay, displaying
> "Opening server FastmailLocal" and then "Searching
> nnimap+FastmailLocal:Archive...done").
>
> 2. M-^ ("Fetch article with id ...) in the summary buffer (a) works when
> the message is visible, (b) fails when the message isn't visible (with
> "No such article (may have expired or been canceled)").
>
> 3. When I follow the org link, say
> "gnus:nnimap+FastmailLocal:Archive#56614DE9.5030300@upf.edu", I do get
> taken to the right nnimap group in gnus but the article is not displayed
> (again, with "No such article (may have expired or been canceled)").
>
> One funny thing is that when the "search" fails (in both cases 2b and
> 3), the article summary actually is visible (see screenshot:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1b9mxi7bl0a51j/missing-article.jpg?dl=0)
>
> If 1 and 2 are as expected, then I guess the issue is with org-gnus and
> how it interacts with my IMAP set-up (offlineimap + dovecot + nnimap)?
>
> -- Kai.

Some more follow-up. I tried to understand the code in org-gnus.el and
org-sum.el. It appears that the functions "org-gnus-open" and
"org-gnus-follow-link" call the function "gnus-summary-goto-article"
from gnus-sum.el. The latter is called with the optional arguments "nil"
and "t". The last one is supposed to force that all articles are loaded,
but that doesn't seem to happen.

When I call (gnus-summary-goto-article "56614DE9.5030300@upf.edu" nil t)
in the summary buffer of the relevant group, it finds the message when
it is listed and doesn't find it if the buffer has only the first 200
articles (loading all articles with "/o" then makes the function
succeed).

I added (gnus-large-newsgroup nil) to the group parameters, which then
loads all articles when entering the group, and
(gnus-summary-goto-article "56614DE9.5030300@upf.edu" nil t) then
succeeds in the summary buffer.

However, the gnus link still doesn't work from outside gnus. It's as if
the FORCE optional argument that is given to "gnus-summary-goto-article"
has no effect.

Any thoughts?

-- Kai.