Re: rendering HTML: how to disable

From: Bernardo
Subject: Re: rendering HTML: how to disable
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 11:51:51 +1100

> Adam writes:
>
>>> guess i'll need to spend a bit more time trying to figure out how to
>>> tackle this
>
>> It does sound odd, the defaults are supposed to be "safe".
>
> I just opened a bunch of LinkedIn HTML emails while running "ngrep -W
> byline port 80", and the only http requests sent was for gravatar.com
> (which I have explicitly enabled by setting gnus-treat-from-gravatar);
> I can't reproduce the problem.

luckily (?) i kept an old LinkedIn email and it doesn't establish
network connections when read, unlike the other one mentioned earlier;
(checked with Wireshark too, there were no DNS address resolution calls
either)

however its header says the content is "multipart" rather than
"text/html" and my guess is the renderer handles it better

yes, i might have a closer look at this, but not now (Easter, meeting
people etc)

Rgds, Bernardo

PS
 didn't know about 'ngrep', looks interesting, will check that too,
 thanks