Re: Standard way to use Gnus?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Standard way to use Gnus?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 00:22:15 +0100

> Gnus has scoring, which can be as simple as a
> killfile, and very complex, even adaptive, if that
> is what you want.

If you mean the KILL file that has a syntax like this

    (gnus-kill "From" "L. Amer" '(gnus-summary-mark-as-read nil "X") t)
    (gnus-kill ... )
    (gnus-expunge "X")

- then that functionality is indeed useful but I don't
like the mixture of data and code in this case. It is
too simple, and too basic, and comes in to big a
quantity to be done in Elisp.

Just killing posts based on header qualities should
only involve a list of what is to be killed.

But the Elisp way might be useful for more elaborate
uses, so I'm not saying it should be removed, only
simplified alongside.

Compare the KILL syntax (which is Elisp) to that of
the ~/.mailrc file which provides aliases for
message-mode:

    alias john    "John DiFool <difool@incal.com>"
    alias kate    "Katherine Moss <mossy@km.com>"
    alias friends john kate

That file can also be put into conf-space-mode to make
it look good.

Other than that, I miss a fast way to insert to the
KILL file from an article buffer. Like
"gnus-article-kill-author" that would forever expunge
that e-mail from your system. Just extract header
data, make a line, and append it to a file.

It shouldn't be difficult to solve (either problem),
so I'll read the scoring section in the manual right
now to see if anyone did. To be concluded...

> I only use two levels: articles I want to be
> automatically marked as read (but still show up in
> lists) and articles I don't even want to know
> existed.

Yes, the system seems super powerful. Too powerful,
perhaps. Well, perhaps it was written in the heydays
of Usenet when there were zillion of posts everywhere.
Nowadays what I can see most groups are pretty serious
with at most one or two oddballs who you can easily
kill manually if they get on your nerves.

--
underground experts united