Re: rendering HTML: how to disable

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: rendering HTML: how to disable
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 13:07:56 +0100

Bernardo writes:

>>> AFAICT the page pointed by URL is loaded as soon as soon as the message
>>> is opened, to the rejoicing of spammers

>> How do you tell this?

> mostly guessing, but the unfiltered and rendered page contains much more
> information while the "sanitised" one contains just a *really* long URL
> (which, another guess, probably contains the recepient's ID embedded) with
> no other details visible;

> you raise an interesting point, and in my mythical spare time it would
> be intriguing to fire up Wireshark to see what actually gets loaded when
> opening such a message; from past experience when looking what gets
> loaded when an innocuous looking web news page is opened with a browser,
> the picture is not pretty ...

I just tested on my machine, and no images are fetched until I go M-x
gnus-article-show-images here.

So I think you should scrounge up some mythical spare time and back up
your bug report with some data.

Could you be using an older version of Gnus? Another renderer than the
default (shr)?

There are many possibilities for you being right. So far the only data
says you're not, though :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Everybody will be quick to agree that EMACS has a           Adam Sjøgren
  simple to learn user interface, at least to gain       asjo@koldfront.dk