Re: resend message: Wrong type argument: stringp, mail-user-name

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: resend message: Wrong type argument: stringp, mail-user-name
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:04:32 +0100

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

>> `name' is not provided according to your backtrace.  So I guess you
>> have somewhere in your init file
>>
>> (setq user-full-name 'mail-user-name)
>>
>> whereas you probably wanted to write
>>
>> (setq user-full-name mail-user-name)
>>
>> That is, you accidentally set `user-full-name' to the symbol
>> mail-user-name instead to the value of that variable.
>
> I have it set as described in the manual:
>
> (setq user-full-name "Your Name")
>
> But, eh, I also use
>
> message-alternative-emails
>
> which the manual shows takes precedence over styles that ran off
> message-setup-hook. Perhaps that is what throws the spanner?

Hm, well, maybe.  The problem is that some variable that's intended to
contain the user name as a string actually contains the symbol
mail-user-name.  I've just grepped the emacs and gnus sources, and there
the symbol mail-user-name doesn't occur at all, so it's some local
customization of yours or maybe a third-party package that causes the
issue.

But you can use `apropos-value' to find variables that contain a value
whose print representation matches a given regex.  So what does

  M-x apropos-value RET ^mail-user-name$ RET

list?

Bye,
Tassilo