Re: Make `r` and `F` behave as `S L` when replying to a message from a m

From: Damien Wyart
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 10:09:46 +0100

* Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze@wanadoo.fr> in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> What do you mean by "Gnus" groups? Newsgroups, as provided by gmane
> for instance?

No, the notion of group in Gnus also applies to email messages. It is
just a container of messages, either stored locally or accessed through
IMAP for mails, or read via NNTP for News (the Agent also plays a role
by caching locally, but let's keep things simple :).

If you use Gnus to read email, you use mail groups, even if you do not
know it :).

See for example:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Splitting-Mail.html
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Choosing-a-Mail-Back-End.html
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Using-IMAP.html

> > I think the simplest solution is to play with the corresponding group
> > parameter to-address (and broken-reply-to if needed). See:
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Group-Parameters.html

> Unfortunately, some of the lists I'm subscribed to don't have any
> newsgroup counterpart.

How do you read them? If each list doesn't have its own group, you might
need to configure splitting. Having a group per list is very convenient.

> A further check of the list's headers puzzled me: `Reply-To:` is the
> list address, not the sender's one. Why Gnus doesn't take it into
> account when I reply with `r` or `F`?

r is explicitely to reply to the author.
Mail-Followup-To is stronger: