Re: adapt in SCORE file does not work logicaly

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: adapt in SCORE file does not work logicaly
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 00:14:04 +0200

Stefan Huchler <stefan.huchler@mail.de> writes:

> thx for an answer!

This answer doesn't answer any of your questions, but
you are welcome nonetheless :)

There is a huge section in the Gnus manual on
scoring. Did you check that out?

For what reason do you want scoring?

If it is to block spammers and perhaps (f)lamers in
general, for mail, I managed to do that with
splitting, just split them to a spam group, then give
that group low priority so it won't even show.

For news, I have a KILL file. I just add addresses to
both. But to KILL isn't as good as splitting because
the to-be killed posts still show up in the group
buffer. It'll say "some.group 6" and you think, cool,
some interesting discussion, hit RET, and... turns
out, all six were KILL-ed.

I just feel it would be better to have a common
interface for splitting both news and mails and also
to have the plonkies in a textfile, i.e., not hard
coded.

Now I have the splitting hard-coded in an Elisp (.el)
file and the killing in the KILL file that is sort of
a hybrid, with entries like

(gnus-kill "From" "Joe Flamer" '(gnus-summary-mark-as-read nil "X") t)

I do have an Elisp function and a shell script to
append automatically, but it is still suboptimal from
the scenario I describe - I don't know how other
people do it.

If you are interested in any of this, I'll be happy to
provide exact examples and the code itself - but
probably you know of this, right?

Anyway, as for scoring, I never got that to work but
it would be very interesting to have features like:

* threads where you are active, bring that to your
  attention

* people who quote you, even more so

* subjects that has been around for ages and you never
  participated, downgrade

* very short messages that contains +1, downgrade
  (ignore), as they don't bring anything in terms of
  thoughts or technology

* messages that contains insults ("idiot"), ignore
  (even when true, never pleasant to read, also
  doesn't bring anything)

I don't know if or to what extent that can be done
with scoring, but I would be very happy to learn.

At the very least, a common interface to killing
(common to mail and news) and a clear separation of
code and data should be very possible. I'd be
surprised if no one ever did anything to that extent,
if so, tell me and I'll se what I can do whenever I
get, eh, "time" (ha).

Keep Gnusing!

--
underground experts united