Re: XNAY (was: gnus hanging - how to see what it is doing)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: XNAY (was: gnus hanging - how to see what it is doing)
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:17:39 +0200

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

>> I think I set that header so my articles would not
>> be preserved in google groups for all eternity.
>
> Sure, XNAY prevents *your* articles from being
> archived. But anybody (except for Adam Sjøgren ;) can
> quote your text (or parts of your text taken out of
> context), and that will be archived.

Indeed. So the end result is: it can still get
archived, only you don't know if it is, and if it is,
it may be incomplete. What I can see it is much worse
than just let it all be in the open. That way you will
know it is archived if you ever need to return to the
conversation (which frequently happens to me). And,
whenever so, the conversation will be completely
archived, not fragmentarily at the mercy of the
quoters.

By the way, XNAY is "X-No-Archive: Yes".

> My message-cite-articles-with-x-no-archive is t, so
> this message will stay understandable in the
> future

Mine is too and I don't remember setting that. Actually
let me check that: no, I didn't. That tells me only
people like Comrade Sjøgren are respectful enough to
honor that header. By default Gnus don't (I did 'emacs
-Q', then (require 'message) and `M-x describe-variable
message-cite-articles-with-x-no-archive').

--
underground experts united