Re: read messages becoming unread in nnml

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: read messages becoming unread in nnml
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 01:16:20 +0200

>> No, I always assumed Emacs would tell Gnus to save
>> and terminate.
>
> It doesn't.

Perhaps there is a hook that is executed when Emacs
quits, which can be made to have the .newsrc.eld file
saved. But this would be a no-issue if that file was
always consistent with the state of what you see, which
I believe is desirable in principle as well. It would
be a nice option, if not everyone agrees...

>> Man, come to think of it, I don't even stop Emacs, I
>> run a shell command from Emacs (shutdown) to shut
>> down the whole system. Perhaps that's why!
>
> It most probably will cause you problems from time to
> time, yes.

I'll write a defun to terminate Emacs which will before
that Gnus, and then invoke the shell command.

> I think we can rule out that your problems and
> Julien's problems have the same cause.

Especially since he said he had (very) old messages
reappearing, I never had that.

> So why did you turn off the dribble-file, which
> conceptually does what you are saying you want?

In the help, it says:

    If Emacs should crash without saving the .newsrc
    files, complete information can be restored from
    the dribble file.

But Emacs never crashes for me, neither in software or
for external reasons like power failure or whatever. I
don't need that kind of backup system.

> Yeah, but you are pulling the rug out under Gnus,
> like, every time you turn your computer off.

Yeah, in effect that could have been what has happened.
But this happens not often, which means my efforts to
save the newsrc file must have been to a great extent
successful. To a great extent - but not entirely. I
don't know where it fails but shutting down the system
in the way just described will at least compensate by
always saving the newsrc file at shutdown.

> So, the unforseen event in this case is located around
> 40 cm's from the screen. Or some meters from the
> projection on your wall.

That's very, very common.

> b) Don't turn off the dribble-file, unless you have a
> really, really good reason (i.e. don't)

Like I said, I want the main file always to be
consistent and I'm not worried about a crash.

--
underground experts united