Re: read messages becoming unread in nnml

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: read messages becoming unread in nnml
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:17:24 +0200

> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

>> For years now I've experienced this strange behaviour: running
>> gnus-group-get-new-news or restarting gnus changes the status of read
>> messages in nnml groups: some read messages become unread. It doesn't
>> happen in the nntp and nnimap groups I'm using.

> Yeah, I've experienced things like that many times, I haven't been
> able to deduct if it has happened exclusively for nnml though.

Weird, I never see that. I wonder what the difference is. The only
"weird" thing I can think of in my setup is that I don't use the agent.

Can either of you reproduce the problem?

> I always thought that happened because the .newsrc.eld file wasn't
> saved, so sometimes the changes would vanish when you terminate Emacs.

Do you quit Gnus before stopping Emacs?

> I would think it best for the .newsrc.eld be saved every time there is
> a change

(If you want to maximize disk-I/O :-))

[...]

> (setq gnus-use-dribble-file nil)

You have explicitly turned off Gnus' defence against crashes and
unforseen events!

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I went for the fireengines                                  Adam Sjøgren
  But they were all upside down"                         asjo@koldfront.dk