Re: .newsrc-dribble autosave

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: .newsrc-dribble autosave
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 13:45:34 +0900

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 01:09:42 +0200, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> akb427 <google@mirror.to> writes:

>> In gnus, I am now sometimes getting the message "Buffer
>> .newsrc-dribble has shrunk a lot; auto save disabled in that buffer
>> until next real save"

> I don't know if this behavior is intended, but it doesn't seem very
> useful to me.

This is probably due to the change that I've made in 2011-06-10,
though I've never seen such a warning.  The original message I
posted to the ding list is missing in Gmane, but Google says:

,----
| Development list for Gnus, the Emacs newsreader - Gmane
| <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/79033>
| 2011/06/08 - Hi, You may see the dribble buffer and the dribble
| file get pretty big if you use Gnus all day long without saving
| .newsrc.eld. I tried improving Gnus' dribble data handling so as
| to prevent the dribble buffer from growing infinitely ...
`----

Before this change, Gnus adds newsrc data for a group to
the dribble file whenever you read article(s) in the group, but
the useful data is only the newest one.  So, I changed the code
so as to delete the old one when entering a new one to the dribble
buffer.

I guess why Emacs issues the warning message in question is that
a newsrc entry for a certain group is very big.  Otherwise, that
I often save the .newsrc.eld file using the `s' command in the
Group buffer might be the reason why I've never seen the warning.

Anyway deleting old dribble data is harmless, I believe.

> The variable `auto-save-include-big-deletions` controls whether
> auto-save-mode is turned off when the buffer has shrunk a lot - the
> default is nil (meaning: turn off).

> Gnus would have to set the buffer local value of this var to non-nil to
> fix this.

I'll do it.  Thanks.