Gnus Agent with IMAP

From: Marcin Włodarczak
Subject: Gnus Agent with IMAP
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 10:06:35 +0200

Hi!

So here I am trying to figure out how to use Gnus agent with IMAP. I
have read the relevant parts in the manual and also found this thread
very useful:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english/2004-10/msg00157.html.
Nonetheless, there are still some points which baffle me.

My agent-related config is very simple:
;; Disable article caching in agentised groups
(setq gnus-agent-cache nil)
;; Automatically fetch selected articles into the agent
(add-hook 'gnus-select-article-hook 'gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article)
;; Do not expire articles in the agent
(setq gnus-agent-enable-expiration 'DISABLE)
;; Consider all articles for downloading into the agent
(setq gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t)

I have also modified the predicate of the default category to true.
Basically, what I want to achieve is having an offline storage of IMAP
mails which mirrors exactly everything on the server.

Here are the things I have been able to figure out:

1. Even though gnus-agent-consider-all-articles is set to non-nil and
gnus-agent-enable-expiration is disabled, whenever I run
gnus-agent-fetch-session, all articles are downloaded over and over
again. Is this because of the default predicate set to true?

2. Am I right in thinking that deleting an article when plugged removes
it from the agent?

3. When I set gnus-agent-cache to non-nil, and delete an article on the
server behind Gnus' back, I can still see it in the summary buffer. Is
this a feature? The thread I mentioned above claimed this behaviour is
a bug in the agent and I seem to remember reading somewhere else it was
supposed to be fixed. I am using Gnus 5.13 and Emacs 24.3.1.

Could some agent users help me with these?

Cheers,
Marcin