Re: copy & pasting to also include hyperlinks

From: Gareth Smith
Subject: Re: copy & pasting to also include hyperlinks
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 11:39:42 +0100

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
> I'm subscribed to several sites using their rss feed, and occasionally
> I like to save the content by highlighting everything and then copy
> and pasting it to an org document.

I see your question has been answered properly elsewhere, but just in
case it's helpful to think around the edge of the topic:

I never copy-paste emails into org, because I find it more convenient to
use org-capture to automatically create hyperlinks to the emails
themselves instead. Of course, it may be that you know about org-capture
and have excellent reasons why it doesn't suit your use-case here.
However, just in case you haven't heard about this feature before; I'll
explain my setup below, and you can read about the full thing here:
(info "(org) Capture")

My setup looks a bit like this:

(global-set-key "\C-cc" 'org-capture)

(setq org-capture-templates
      '(("t" "Todo" entry (file "~/Documents/org/Inbox.org")
         "* TODO %? \n  %a\n  %K"
         )
        ("s" "Spam" item (file+olp "~/Documents/org/home.org" "HomeIT" "Spam")
        "%a\n  %K" :immediate-finish t)))

With this setup, I can hit C-c c t when I'm reading any email, and it'll
create an entry in my Inbox.org file which contains a hyperlink to the
email I was reading when I hit C-c c. It'll pop up a window into which I
can type a note (which will be included in the entry), and when I'm done
I hit C-c C-c to go back to the email where I started. The magic that
inserts the hyperlink to the email you just came from is the "%a".

There's a second template in the code above, so that when I hit C-c c s,
I'll get an entry under the Spam heading in my home.org file. I use this
as a reminder to update my filters if something slips through to my
inbox when it shouldn't have. The interesting thing about this template
is the ":immediate-finish" clause. This means I don't get a pop-up
window into which I might type a note. The entry is just inserted
automatically, and I immediately go back to reading my email.

I massively recommend using org-capture. I've described it here as a
feature for capturing hyperlinks to emails (it integrates with gnus very
nicely), but it can actually capture a link to anything that can be
linked to. Web pages, emails, code files, particular lines of code
files, IRC logs, git commits -- the lot.