Setting up gmail

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Setting up gmail
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:19:57 +0000

Following on from my recent email "Positioning of items" I have all my
gmail-related coding in 'gnus-gmail.el' which is called from '.gnus.el' at the
very end with '(require 'gnus-gmail)'.

'gnus-gmail' contains this -

,----
| (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "imap.gmail.com"
|          '(nnimap "gmail"
|                  (nnimap-stream ssl)
|                  ;(nnir-search-engine imap)
|                  (nnimap-inbox "Inbox")
|                                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
|                                 (nnmail-expiry-target
"nnimap+gmail:[Gmail]/Trash")

"boudiccas@talktalk.net" nil))
|       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
|       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
|       smtpmail-smtp-service 587 )
`----

When I start off gnus the following shows in my 'message' buffer -

,----
| gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) allocating credentials
| gnutls.c: [2] (Emacs) allocating x509 credentials
| gnutls.c: [2] (Emacs) using default verification flags
| gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the trustfile:
/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
| gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls callbacks
| gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls_init
| gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) got non-default priority string: NORMAL
| gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the priority string
| gnutls.c: [2] ASSERT: gnutls_constate.c:695
`----

Which is then followed with lots of -

,----
| gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) non-fatal error: Resource temporarily unavailable, try
again.
| gnutls.c: [2] ASSERT: gnutls_handshake.c:2933
|
| gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) non-fatal error: Resource temporarily unavailable, try
again.
| gnutls.c: [2] ASSERT: gnutls_handshake.c:2933
`----

I don't know if the above is relevant, but I include it just in case it is.

When I send an email from my talktalk account, this shows in the message buffer

,----
| Opening connection to gmail via tls...
| open-network-stream: gmail/993 Name or service not known
`----

When I try to connect with gmail this shows in the message buffer

,----
| Connecting to imap.gmail.com...
| Opening nnimap server on imap.gmail.com...
| Server nnimap+imap.gmail.com previously determined to be down; not retrying
| Opening nnimap server on imap.gmail.com...failed: NO (AUTHENTICATIONFAILED)
Invalid credentials (Failure)
| Unable to contact server imap.gmail.com: NO (AUTHENTICATIONFAILED) Invalid
credentials (Failure)
`----

This is the relevant line relating to authinfo -

,----
|  (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
`----

How then should it be written and where within the codebase please?

I've looked at the 'gnus.info' and searched for various things but have been
unable to find a working example. Its a very good document which fails because
of a lack of a working script that would help new people too. Ah well!

Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.1
Registered Linux user 561944