Re: Gnus state, feed commands

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: Gnus state, feed commands
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 23:00:37 +0000

> I "sort of" solved this. Check out the comments.

[...]

Cool.

An alternate approach to the problem: track the place Gnus is getting
its mail from.  `display-time-mode' has some built-in support for this.

My MTA delivers new mails for me to a Maildir at ~/Maildir, so with

(setq display-time-mail-directory "~/Maildir/new/")

I can get "Mail" in my mode line when display-time-mode is on and mail
arrives at ~/Maildir.  In the Maildir format, the new/ subdir is where
mails arrive; when Gnus processes them, whether by marking them unread
or flagged or splitting them to other folders, they are moved to cur/,
so new/ will only contain new, unprocessed mail.

There are also options to use an mbox file or an arbitrary function to
test for the rpesence of new mail every time `display-time' updates.  If
you use Gnus `mail-sources' to control where your mail comes from, you
might try

(setq display-time-mail-function 'mail-source-new-mail-p)