Re: Populating and updating the active file local cache and keeping gnus

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Populating and updating the active file local cache and keeping gnus from querying Astraweb after '1g'
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 15:02:53 +0200

Ezequiel Birman <stormwatch@espiga4.com.ar> writes:

> I've configured gnus to only fetch my mail (with nnmail) when I press
> '1g' (and also at startup). Nevertheless, since I've added a new nntp
> binary server (Astraweb) gnus always wastes some precious seconds
> reading the active file from this server as you can see in the extract
> below. Is that unavoidable? This is from *Messages* after starting gnus:

If Gnus is fetching data from that server when you hit `1 g', then it
sounds likely that you have some group from that server on level 1.

> On a related note, and proably more important too, I can only browse
> through Astraweb's groups if I enter the *Server* buffer whereas I'd
> rather like to be able to have them in the Killed (or Zombie if new)
> Groups list so I can see them when I press 'A k'. Is this possible? I've
> tried recreating the active file with gnus-cache-generate-active, also
> gnus-group-find-new-groups (with one and two C-u prefixes) but I keep
> seeing only the groups from old servers (gmane, gwene, and my primary
> server individual.net)

I'm not quite sure I understand that at all.  Here it sounds like the
server isn't consulted at all, or your settings for new groups is
ignoring new groups from this server...

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php