Re: Confused about registry and pruned entries

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Confused about registry and pruned entries
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 08:50:19 +0200

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

Hi Teemu,

> I'm confused with Gnus registry size. There are (at least) two
> variables which control registry's size:
>
>  1. gnus-registry-max-entries
>  2. gnus-registry-max-pruned-entries
>
> The variable 1 _seems_ clear. No more than that number of entries will
> be in the registry. The variable 2 is unclear and the documentation
> makes it worse. In the info manual it says:
>
>  -- Variable: gnus-registry-max-pruned-entries
>      The maximum number (an integer or `nil' for unlimited) of entries
>      the registry will keep after pruning.

I've asked the very same question recently on this group (Message-ID:
<87d2u1d0g4.fsf@thinkpad.tsdh.de>), and Ted replied:

      TH> 1) What's `gnus-registry-max-pruned-entries' good for?  Of
      TH> course I've read its docs, but still I have no idea.  What is
      TH> a pruned entry?

  TZ> We prune entries that are disposable, meaning they don't have
  Tz> any keys considered "precious."

Well, honestly that didn't help me either (why keep 'em when they're not
precious?), but since I had a more important question in that posting
that Ted explained me well, I didn't followup on the "pruned entries"
question.

Bye,
Tassilo