gnus-group-line-format: number of articles to look at

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: gnus-group-line-format: number of articles to look at
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 00:27:54 +0200

Hello,

I want to include the number of "to be read" articles in
`gnus-group-line-format'.  But "%N" is not nearly what I want.  It seems
to include all old articles that I didn't "open" - at least, it gives
very large integers that can't reflect what I mean.

There is also "%U" which counts unseen articles.  But once I opened the
according group, this will be zero, so this is not what I want.

What I want is to count all articles that are not flagged as marked or
old.  Because this is the number of articles I want to have a look at,
now or later.

Can I achieve that without defining a new user format function?  How do
others do this?

Thanks,

Michael.