Customizing group buffer - strange "number of total articles"

From: Rainer M. Krug
Subject: Customizing group buffer - strange "number of total articles"
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:58:29 +0200

Hi

I changed my group buffer format and added %t whic, according to the
manual is

,----
| `t'
|   Total number of articles.
`----

but it gives me very strange numbers, e.g. in the Inbox of my gmail
account (synced via offlineimap) I get nearly 10 times the number of
actual messages. It is an local imap account. I checked the number of
files in the Inbox folder of gmail, and it is also only about 10% of
number shown for %t.

I also read in the info manual that it is only an estimate and the
liitations for nntp, but my backend is nnimap and I can therefore not
compact.

So my queestion is: is there a way of getting the number of mails from
the nnimap backend in the group buffer?

Thanks,

Rainer

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)