Re: Sent message still in drafts (lisp error: "Selecting deleted buffer"

From: Felix Natter
Subject: Re: Sent message still in drafts (lisp error: "Selecting deleted buffer")
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 14:20:10 +0200

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

hi Katsumi,

> Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> wrote:
> [...]
>> Would it help to upgrade to GNU Emacs 24.2?
>
> No, it doesn't.  The most recent nndraft.el is in the development
> repositories, the Gnus Git master[1] and the Emacs Bzr trunk[2].
> Both have not been released yet.  But you can use one of them or
> both at your own risk.  Many changes were made in Gnus since Emacs
> 24.2 was released.  So, please note that you have to install Gnus
> fully, not replacing nndraft.el only.  I think the easiest way is
> to install Ma Gnus, i.e., that of the Gnus Git master.  Sorry for
> this; I misunderstood that you use a development version of Gnus.
>
> To install Ma Gnus is not so hard.  Download the repository or
> a tarball[3] to somewhere and do:
>
> ・ cd gnus
> ・ ./configure [options]
>    Run ``./configure --help'' to see the options if needed.
> ・ make
> ・ Add these snippets to your ~/.emacs file:
>
>    (push "/Directory/Where/Gnus/Is/Installed" load-path)
>    (require 'gnus-load)
>
>    See lisp/Makefile to know the directory where the elc files
>    will be installed.  That will normally be:
>    /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/gnus
>
> ・ su
> ・ make install

Thanks for the explanation!

Will Ma Gnus also work with GNU Emacs 23?

>> On the other hand, I installed Emacs24 on another machine and it also
>> reports Gnus version 5.13.
>
> The version of Gnus bundled with Emacs is not growing for years
> in spite of a lot of changes. :<

What a pity, if important bugs are fixed... :-/

>> (GNU Emacs 24.2 is in Debian unstable, that's why I'm afraid of upgrading
>> to it.)
>
> You can simply abandon Ma Gnus by:
> ・ rm -r site-lisp/gnus
> ・ remove the (require 'gnus-load) line in the ~/.emacs file.

But Ma Gnus won't change the configuration so that the "stable" Gnus
that comes with Emacs(23) does not run any more? In other words, can I
always go back?

Thanks and Best Regards,
--
Felix Natter