Re: Sent message still in drafts (lisp error: "Selecting deleted buffer"

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Sent message still in drafts (lisp error: "Selecting deleted buffer")
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:17:58 +0900

Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> wrote:
> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
[...]
>> I found some other problems on expiring sent drafts to a group.
>> The principal one is that a draft is not like a normal article:
>>
>> ・There is a separator between the header and the body.
>>   - You can't read its body in an expiry group.
>>   - Xref herder, etc. are put at the end of the body.
>> ・Non-ASCII text has not been encoded properly.
>> ・Attachments do not necessarily exist when re-using it.

> So the problem is that when I send a draft, its content is subject
> to expiry, and this does not work because a draft is not like
> a normal article (and with the "G c" below we tell Gnus to delete
> and not expire sent drafts)?

Maybe that a draft is not a normal article is not a direct cause
of your problem.  Though I haven't yet investigated why sometimes
it fails with the message "Selecting deleted buffer".

>> It will cost to improve it.

> What do you mean by "costs to improve it"?

Sorry for my funny English.  I meant that it will take time (IOW,
cost me time ;-) to improve the Lisp code so as to transform
a draft message, that is copied or moved to a normal group, to
a normal article.

[...]
> Yes, I am doing that:
> (setq nnmail-expiry-target "nnml:expired")
[...]
>> how about setting a group parameter so that only sent drafts
>> are deleted?
[...]
> If that works, then I think it's a good idea to mention this problem
> in the Gnus documentation?

I have another idea.  That is to make the behavior of expiring of
drafts be always `delete' no matter what nnmail-expiry-target is.
It lets you and friends have no need to have such a special group
parameter.  Ones who want to have a local copy of a sent message
can use Gcc, that saves it as a normal article.  WDYT?