Re: Setting up gnus: read on local, store remote (but not on mailserver)

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: Setting up gnus: read on local, store remote (but not on mailserver)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:03:08 +0000

Hi Martin,

supermiri123@gmail.com writes:

> Hi gnurus!
>
> Since I have a new job, I need to modify my gnus setup, and don't know
> how.  I have the following:
>
> 1) mail is coming from some server with limited storage space (in
> fact, not enough)
>
> 2) I have enough storage space on a machine I can ssh to, but where I
> do not have a reasonably recent emacs (No root rights.  Emacs version
> there is 21.)  However, this is in a local network (at a university),
> so ssh should not be too slow.
>
> 3) My email archive (which I depend on for every day work) has just
> about 2GB currently.
>
> I would like to use my local emacs with gnus to read email, but have
> it stored on the other computer, so I can always access it, even if
> I'm not in my office.
>
> Is there an effective solution known, or do I have to experiment?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Martin

A maildir might be a good choice.  The `nnmaildir' backend (info "(gnus)
Maildir") can use a remote filesystem, e.g.

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnmaildir "mail"
        (directory "/rsyncc:user@remotehost.org:/path/to/maildir/")
        (get-new-mail t)))

The above would use Gnus to incorporate mail using whatever methods you
picked in `mail-sources', and store them in a remote maildir accessed
with rsync (you can use any TRAMP filename, e.g. ssh:, scpc:, etc.).

If you have the ability to install packages on the remote host, you
could also install offlineimap or something, and skip the `get-new-mail
t' in this example.

--
Regards,
WGG