Re: GPG: Are attachments or headers also encrypted on C-c C-m C-c?

From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
Subject: Re: GPG: Are attachments or headers also encrypted on C-c C-m C-c?
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:21:43 +0200

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is a message encrypted with GnuPG (PGP/MIME) via C-c C-m C-c (or
> signed and encrypted with C-c C-m
> C-e) fully encrypted in the sense that attachments are also encrypted?
>
> I would have guessed that only the main part/body of the email (without
> subject
> headers or attachments) are encrypted, but I couldn't find sufficient
> information on this.

I just tested by doing `C-c C-m C-c' and then `C-c C-m f', sending to a
webmail. The webmail showed the unencrypted subject, so I assume all
headers are unencrypted. The body was empty, and there were two
attachments:

$ file Attachment*
Attachment1: ASCII text
Attachment2: PGP message
$ cat Attachment1
Version: 1
$ gpg -d Attachment2 > Attachment2.decrypted
# [enter passphrase]
$ file Attachment2.decrypted
Attachment2.decrypted: multipart/mixed; boundary="=-=-=",

>From what I can tell, the (contents of the) file I attached does not
appears unencrypted anywhere in the email sent by Gnus; everything is
encrypted[1].

But of course, if you want to make really sure that it's encrypted
before sending, you could simply

$ gpg -r alice@example.com -e myattachment.txt

and attach the resulting myattachment.txt.gpg

[1] Apropos, I'm pretty sure K-9 mail on Android does _not_ encrypt
    attachments, yet.

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C