Re: A Gnus Biff

From: William Gardella
Subject: Re: A Gnus Biff
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 19:06:36 -0400

William Gardella <gardellawg@gmail.com>
writes:

> Is there a function or variable I could use as a condition to determine
> whether Gnus is actually "running?"  Eval-after-load is probably not
> quite right, because Gnus is not exactly a normal Elisp package, and
> it's not that I need some function to be available--it's that the group
> data hasn't been populated yet until Gnus is running.  I also considered
> using the variable `gnus-demon-timers' as a condition, since the daemon
> timers are started when gnus starts/restarts and removed when it exits,
> and someone who wants a biff probably does use gnus-demon for periodic
> message checking.  Is that a kludge?  Is there a better way to check the
> status of Gnus?
>
> Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
> WGG

Hmm.  Perhaps `gnus-startup-hook' or `gnus-started-hook' is a
possibility.  I'm not entirely clear as to the difference between them.
I notice also that there's a `gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook' which
might offer another way of running my function, rather than wastefully
running it whenever display-time updates itself...pleasantly, Gnus has
more of an API than it appeared when I started :)