Re: End of file during parsing, single newsgroup

From: Stephen Harker
Subject: Re: End of file during parsing, single newsgroup
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 20:50:48 +1000

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> William Gardella <gardellawg@gmail.com>

>>> This is what I got:
>>>
>>> Debug on Error enabled globally
>>> Retrieving newsgroup: rec.arts.sf.written...
>>> Fetching headers for rec.arts.sf.written...
>>> byte-code: End of file during parsing
>>> Commands: d, s, x, u; f, o, 1, 2, m, v; ~, %; q to quit; ? for help.
>>>
>>> At the moment it looks like no clear message from the debugger,or it
>>> is not entering it given the Commands line.
>
> Strange.  What does it say when you hit `?'?

That is taken from the message buffer.  I don't get the debugger
buffer unless I create it from another error.  If I hit '?" to TAB I
get the following:

SPC:Select  n:Forward  DEL:Backward  q:Exit  C-c TAB:Run Info  ?:This help [2
times]
indent-relative: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Group*>

>> Could the "end of file during parsing" be corruption in the
>> ~/.newsrc.eld file?  That's my only (possibly pretty far-fetched)
>> guess.
>
> I think, if it was corrupted it would error as soon as gnus tries to
> read it the first time and not only with this one specific group.

I could not find any obvious problem in the .newsrc.eld file.  I tried
copying a .newsrc.eld file from a backup prior to the error starting
and find the same error.

> Some more guesses:
>
>   - Do you have (gnus-compile) in your ~/.gnus.el?  If so, comment it
>     out and restart emacs.  Fire up Gnus, do something and hit `s' in
>     *Group* so that it saves the ~/.newsrc.eld.  Restart emacs and gnus
>     and try to enter rec.arts.sf.written.  I think, you still get an
>     error but maybe a bit more informative.

I don't have a ~/.gnus.el, all values set are done manually in my
~/.emacs, which has not changed in some months.  I am about to try
this suggestion (and some of the others).

>   - Do you have a special gnus-summary-line-format set for that group,
>     e.g., via gnus-parameters?  Maybe that's somehow broken?

I don't have it set anywhere that I can find with grep.

>   - Did you use a newer version of emacs once?  If so, maybe the
>     (gnus-compile) compiled something in ~/.newsrc.eld to byte-code
>     that's not understood by emacs 22.

That is a possibility.  I started an install of Fedora 17 and don't
think I did anything in the home partition, but can't guaranteee
it.

--
Stephen Harker                           s.harker@adfa.edu.au
PEMS                http://sjharker.customer.netspace.net.au/