Re: Preserving window layout?

From: Angel de Vicente
Subject: Re: Preserving window layout?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:49:07 +0100

Hi,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to work in a single Emacs frame, split in several windows,
> but this does not work well with gnus. Reading the documentation, I see
> that there is an option to prevent gnus from taking over the frame
> (http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_288.html), but its use is discouraged.
>
> Hence my question: has anyone found a way to use gnus without losing an
> existing windows layout? I saw some discussion on emacswiki
> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneWindow) and I'm wondering if there
> are other tricks that I may have missed.

if you are happy running emacs only in text mode, then you can do like
me: I run Emacs in text mode (emacs -nw), inside GNU screen (well,
actually Byobu), so wherever I am, I only need to connect through ssh to
my workstation, and I have full control and exactly the same
configuration everywhere.

Inside screen I have different shells and in all of them I run
emacsclient, so all of them are connecting to the same Emacs server but
each of them have different windows configurations. Works very well for
me: at work I can even open another terminal (I have two monitors),
connect to Byobu, and have both of them sharing the same Emacs (so I can
see Gnus in one of them and something else in the other one at the same
time). Then when I get home I have exactly the same environment. If you
don't need X, this works great! (I tried the register approach at some
point, but compared to this it was awful, IMO).

Cheers,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/