Re: does anyone have a workaround for the "Hiding the thread moved us ba

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: Re: does anyone have a workaround for the "Hiding the thread moved us backwards, aborting!" bug yet?
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 08:31:00 -0700

>>>>> "Sivaram" == Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

Sivaram> On Fri, Sep 21 2012,Randal L. Schwartz Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>> it's driving me crazy. :(

Sivaram> We're on a Gnus mailing list, which by definition is where the crazies
Sivaram> congregate (Have you seen normal email clients/MUAs, recently?).
You're not
Sivaram> out of the ordinary, here. :-)

Sivaram> And no, I have no idea of the bug or the resolution.
Sivaram>  sivaram
Sivaram>  --

repeat by:

(setq
  gnus-build-sparse-threads 'more
  gnus-thread-hide-subtree t
)

(which is my preferred view)

kill a (folded) thread ahead of a thread that is missing a base
article, so it's sparse.  your cursor will end up at the far right,
instead of on the left.

now kill *that* thread.  BOOM, you get shoved to the end of the buffer
and the error message above.

Before, you'd just get shoved into some weird buffer state that a ^A
would fix.  But at least you wouldn't lose context.