Re: M-g does not work for newsgroups

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: M-g does not work for newsgroups
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 01:18:34 -0400

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

Hello Cecil:

> What details do you need?
>
> Some details (if others needed: let me know):
>     newsserver:    news.aioe.org
>     Gnus:          "Gnus v5.13"
>     Emacs:         "23.3.1"
>     OS:            openSuse 12.1

OK, I tested news.aioe.org out with Gnus v5.13 and it works fine- it
must be something in your configuration. Try:

     1. Backup your Emacs configuration files (just in case) and ~/News.

     2. Start emacs with "emacs -Q"

     3. customize the variable "gnus-select-method" and fill it in with
        new.aioe.org and set it for the current session with the "State"
        button.

     4. Subscribe to some groups (I suggest some high volume ones such
        as COLA, so you don't have to wait too long for new messages)
        and test it out.

     5. Restore ~/News.

If that works, you will have to go through your configuration and see
what is preventing M-g from working on Usenet groups.

Cheers,
Charles

--
"People get annoyed when you try to debug them."

  -- Larry Wall (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)