Re: Gnus hangs while trying to connect to IMAP server with starttls

From: Gary
Subject: Re: Gnus hangs while trying to connect to IMAP server with starttls
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:48:18 +0200

Okay, forget some of that. I'm an idiot. For some reason I had it in my
head I could/should use starttls, but that is not supported by the
server so I'm wrong.

Gary wrote:

> What the subject says. It works fine if I use plain text, but with
> starttls something goes badly wrong. Gnus effectively hangs (waiting for
> the starttls-cli process, I guess) until I kill the starttls-cli
> process.
>
> The relevant part of my config is
> ,----
> | (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> |       '(nnimap "myimap"
> |                (nnimap-address "remote-server")
> |                (nnimap-server-port 143)
> |                (nnimap-list-pattern ("*"))
> |                (nnimap-authenticator login)
> | ;  this works fine btw    (nnimap-stream network)
> |                (nnimap-stream starttls)
> |                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
> |         )
> | )
> `----

Using nnimap-stream ssl results in the following

,----[ imap-log snippet ]
| depth=2 C = US, O = DigiCert Inc, OU = www.digicert.com, CN = DigiCert High
Assurance EV Root CA
| verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
| verify return:0
| * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE AUTH=PLAIN ACL ACL2=UNION] Courier-IMAP
ready. Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for distribution
information.
| 1 NOOP
`----

What is this "local issuer certificate"? How can I get it?

--
Gary        Please do NOT send me 'courtesy' replies off-list.