Re: How to search a recently read mail

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How to search a recently read mail
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:08:22 +0200

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

Hi Rasmus,

> nnir is also quick unless the whole body is search (the default).

That depends on the nnir backend and also server capabilities.  For
example, searching Gmane groups is very fast.

Searching IMAP groups is usually not fast if you do a full-text search,
because most IMAP mail providers only maintain search indexes for from,
to, and subject.  However, full-text searches on my Gmail IMAP account
are very fast, so I suspect they maintain some kind of full-text index.
And for Dovecot, there is also some full-text search plugin (FTS) you
can easily setup if you run a local dovecot.

nnir also supports several search engines for local mail, e.g., notmuch
or namazu, but I have no experiences with those.

Bye,
Tassilo