Re: using local dovecot nnimap, gnus Group shows wrong counts and mail

From: Jonas Hörsch
Subject: Re: using local dovecot nnimap, gnus Group shows wrong counts and mail
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:04:00 +0200

On Sat, Jun 23 2012, myles wrote:

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "gmailOne"
>               (nnimap-address "localhost")
>               (nnimap-user gmailOne)
>               (nnimap-stream network)
> ;;            (nnimap-authinfo-file "/home/myles/.authinfoGMAILONE")
>               ;;(nnimap-authenticator login)
>               (nnimap-shell-program
> "MAIL=maildir:/home/myles/Maildir/gmailOne /usr/lib/dovecot/imap"))

i guess, in your setup the nnimap-shell-program specification is not
used at all, because you're telling gnus to connect via the network to
the listening dovecot server instead of starting it by shell.

(if it was connecting by shell/pipe, you would not be asked for
authentication, as you're starting it by yourself)

to do what you meant to do, you might try to use:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "gmailOne"
                (nnimap-stream shell)
                (nnimap-shell-program
               "MAIL=maildir:/home/myles/Maildir/gmailOne
               /usr/lib/dovecot/imap"))))

the only remaining problem is, that dovecot 2.x doesn't pay respect to
the MAIL environment variable anymore, but rather just uses the setting
mail_location in its configuration (at least in my install), which you
can test f.ex. by python

the only remaining problem is, that dovecot 2.x doesn't pay respect to
the MAIL environment variable anymore, but rather just uses the setting
mail_location in its configuration (at least in my install), which you
can test f.ex. by python

import imaplib
print("\n".join(imaplib.IMAP4_stream("MAIL=maildir:/home/myles/Maildir/gmailOne
/usr/lib/dovecot/imap").list()[1]))

will list the directories which imap shows.

perhaps there is another environment variable which does what you want,
i don't know.

alternatively you could just use one global maildir and have you're
different accounts as subdirectories. judging by [1], this might be
possible by just renaming them to .gmailOne and .gmailTwo .

well, good luck,
jonas

Footnotes:

[1] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation