Re: Marking an article and unmarking it to read

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: Marking an article and unmarking it to read
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 20:44:51 +0200

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 20:14:48 +0200
Angel de Vicente wrote:

> Well, the suggestion to use 'd' was not originally mine (it was
> Alberto's), though I use it as well.

My apologies.

> I do not use scoring, and I've been using Gnus only for about two
> months, so there is still plenty that I have to learn. I was just
> curious to learn in what sort of scenario it would be useful to
> distinguish between 'gnus-del-mark' and 'gnus-read-mark'.
>
> Certainly to me it looks a bit too much that there are so many marks for
> marking an article as "read", but the OP asked:

Are there? AFAIK there is only one such mark: `gnus-read-mark' (the
docstring says "Mark used for read articles."; seems rather clear to
me). As I've been repeatedly trying to say, `gnus-del-mark' is not it
(its docstring says "Mark used for del'd articles.")

There is difference being made between "mark as read (automatically) by
reading" (that's what Paulo wants and what `gnus-read-mark' is for) and
`gnus-del-mark' is for, and judging by its name, documentation and
scoring effects, it means something like "Oh yeah I've read this and it
really sucks and I never want to see this again"; that's _NOT_ what
Paulo wants; I suspect it's also not what you and other `d' proponents
want, but, be my guest(s)).

It would probably help if the command bound to `d' had a better name
and/or if the documentation stated this more clearly, but that's Gnus
for you, and we're going around in circles.

--
Štěpán