Gnus cannot describe all Quimby (news.gnus.org) groups (was: How can Gnu

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Gnus cannot describe all Quimby (news.gnus.org) groups (was: How can Gnus be configured with multiple NNTP servers?)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 20:41:37 +0200

DekuDekuplex@Yahoo.com (Benjamin L. Russell) writes:

Hi Benjamin,

> Thanks; I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue.
>
> Is this a bug, or part of the specification of GNU Emacs 23.3.1?  I
> scoured the Internet for a way to add three NNTP servers in my
> ~/.gnus.el file, but came up with nothing specific.

It has nothing to do with that being your third nntp server.  I did some
more testing and added news.gnus.org as my fourth nntp server.

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nntp "Quimby"
                    (nntp-address "news.gnus.de")))

Then I did M-x gnus-group-describe-all-groups RET and got:

      [...]
      *: nntp+Uni:cl.glauben.aberglauben Schwarze Katzen am Freitag den 13.
      *: nntp+Quimby:         Has read
      *: nntp+Gmane:gwene.com.feedburner.sysadvent
http://feeds.feedburner.com/sysadvent?format=xml (Moderated)
      [...]

That's the only entry for Quimby, and since there's no group listed and
"Has read" doesn't look like a proper description, it looks like a
server issue to me.

Bye,
Tassilo